We are excited to announce the results of our latest research conducted trough Similarweb, revealing the top 10 apps in Brazil. This study offers valuable insights into the Brazilian app landscape and allows for an interesting comparison with the U.S. market. The findings will help us understand what the future might hold for app usage and development in both countries.
The top 10 apps in Brazil are as follows:
- Instagram (Social) – Instagram
- TikTok (Social) – TikTok Pte. Ltd.
- Helo – Humor and Social Trends (Social) – POLIGON PTE. LTD
- Facebook (Social) – Meta Platforms, Inc.
- Twitter (Social) – Twitter, Inc.
- Facebook Lite (Social) – Meta Platforms, Inc.
- Instagram Lite (Social) – Instagram
- TikTok Lite (Social) – TikTok Pte. Ltd.
- Auxílio Brasil GovBR (Social) – Caixa Econômica Federal
- CAIXA Trabalhador (Social) – Caixa Econômica Federal
In contrast, the U.S. market is dominated by a different set of apps, with communication and streaming platforms taking precedence. However, it’s important to note that social media apps like Instagram and TikTok continue to be highly popular in both countries.
One striking difference between the two markets is the prevalence of “Lite” versions of popular apps in Brazil, such as Facebook Lite, Instagram Lite, and TikTok Lite. This highlights the demand for data-efficient and accessible apps in the Brazilian market, catering to users with limited data plans or older devices. In the U.S., this trend is less pronounced, as users generally have access to more advanced devices and data plans.
Additionally, government-supported apps like Auxílio Brasil GovBR and CAIXA Trabalhador are prominent in Brazil’s top 10. This reflects the growing trend of public institutions leveraging digital platforms to streamline services and improve accessibility for citizens, a trend that’s now also beggining to emerge in the U.S.
With the arrival of 5G internet in Brazil, we expect a significant shift in app usage trends. As 5G technology delivers faster internet speeds, lower latency, and increased network capacity, the demand for “Lite” versions of popular apps is likely to decline. Users will be able to seamlessly access the full-featured versions of apps without worrying about data consumption or device limitations. As a result, it is highly probable that “Lite” apps will gradually disappear from the top-ranking lists, making way for more advanced and feature-rich applications that cater to the evolving needs of Brazilian users in the era of 5G connectivity.
All the data presented in our research comes from Similarweb, a trusted source of digital market intelligence. It is important to note that the findings are based solely on Android app usage in Brazil. According to StatCounter, approximately 83% of mobile users in Brazil utilize Android devices, while the remaining 17% use Apple’s iOS platform. This disparity in market share highlights the relevance of analyzing Android app usage to understand the trends and preferences of a majority of Brazilian mobile users. However, it is also essential to consider that app usage on iOS devices may exhibit different patterns and trends, potentially offering additional insights into Brazil’s digital landscape.